I am a baker at heart, but the perfect sugar cookie recipe has eluded me for some time. They were either too dry, too puffy, too flat, too cakey… I could never find the right combination. Until I found these cookies.
I tried this recipe a while ago and have made it several times since then. These cookies never fail to be absolute perfection – soft but chewy, deliciously flavored with vanilla, and crackled with sugar granules on the outside. They are the perfect sugar cookies, and they are some of the easiest cookies I’ve made.
No chill time, no special ingredients. Just classics like butter, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla… The usual baking suspects.
If you’re searching for a fabulous sugar cookie recipe, look no further! These easy, crackled sugar cookies are the perfect fit.
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for rolling dough)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla extract until mixed thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until combined. Add the remaining half and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop dough into tablespoon-sized balls and roll in granulated sugar before adding to prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops of cookies have cracked. Let cookies cool (5-10 min) before removing from cookie sheet.